Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bueller......Bueller.....


Despite my promise to be more ‘personal’ I will not be able to talk about my own research in too much detail. Its probably better because I spend enough time talking and writing about it anyway and it might bore you to death (yeah yeah there is no such thing as boring topics just boring writers, I read The New Yorker too).

Anyway, what I can, and will, do, is try to describe what it is like to work in a scientific lab, which in and of itself is unlike any other work environment.

I suppose the best place to begin is by explaining that we have test tubes and microscopes and shelves full of chemicals and about two dozen refrigerators and freezers instead of cubicles and plants and copy machines. At least I’m guessing that most offices have cubicles and plants and copy machines? I am 31 and have only had a real ‘job’ for three years so I am no authority. One of the best parts of my job is that I can wear whatever I want to work. Sometimes I literally wear pajamas. I won’t wear anything I would hate to ruin with above-mentioned chemicals et cetera, and I therefore have tons of clothes that are too nice for work. Today I wore yellow crocs. Of course, one of the downsides to this is that I work with a bunch of people who think they can wear whatever they want to work. I see sandals with socks on a daily basis. Patterns on patterns. Leg warmers without irony. On the rare occasion when I have decided to wear a sports jersey to work I get lots of confused enthusiasm.

Which brings me to one of my favorite stories. My boss used to work at a University with a pretty big sports program and he was excited one day at lab meeting about a major championship they were competing for. The kind of championship that happens in March and involves “brackets” and “seeds”. He showed everyone a few powerpoint slides of the inside of the arena at his old University and started to get all excited about the game. He said, “I hypothesize there will be one more Championship flag up here next year!”……………….

silence………….

“does anyone have any idea what I’m talking about?”………….

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?