Friday, May 25, 2012

The skies are a bright canary yellow


I will be brief tonight.

I read this online today and I think it is wonderful.

I am a pessimist who goes by the term ‘realist’ and I’m married to an optimist. I have always subscribed to low expectations; whenever I apply to things (college? Graduate school? Jobs?) I figure it won’t happen and that leads to pleasant surprises and few disappointments. My spouse does not agree with this approach and recently I allowed myself to get excited, maybe even optimistic, about an opportunity. And it didn’t pan out after all. And I was disappointed. But after reading the article linked above, I think I missed the boat a little.

The author describes an interview where the interviewer told her she was naïve to think she could be hired given her professional experience. She replied “If I didn’t think I could do the job, I wouldn’t be here” and she got hired.

Optimism isn’t just being hopeful, even extremely hopeful, that you will get what you want, optimism is the sheer confidence that it will work out.

Happy Friday before Memorial day weekend……….. I can’t think of many things better than a sunny holiday Friday

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?